Interesting places nearby include Lake Mapourika (10mins), Okarito Lagoon & Beach (20mins), Fox Glacier & Lake Matheson (30mins).
- The Glacier Hot Pools offer a haven of natural tranquillity and the perfect way to relax after exploring the rugged West Coast.
- The Helicopter Line offers scenic helicopter flights with snow landings and photo opportunities to the Franz Josef Glacier, Fox Glacier and/or Mount Cook. Also available is a Heli-hike where you get to fly to the glacier then hike on the glacier itself with a local guide.
- The West Coast Wildlife Centre offers information with interactive displays of glacier formations and the opportunity to see live kiwi in their nocturnal house and / or in incubators of varying stages, (season permitting).
- Be surrounded by NZ's highest mountains in NZ's highest tandem skydive at 19,000 feet (75+ sec freefall) but also 16,000 feet (60+ sec freefall) and 13,000 feet (45+ sec freefall) options available.
- Air Safaris offer scenic flights in a fixed wing aircraft (all passengers have a window seat) over Aoraki Mount Cook, two World Heritage National Parks and 200 km of NZ's most memorable and spectacular scenery.
- Across Country Quad Bikes offer the thrill of riding through rainforest, riverbeds and glorious mud to view an outstanding panorama of the Franz Josef Glacier and the Mighty Southern Alps.
- Glide along Lake Mapourika enjoying panoramic reflections of the surrounding mountains and glaciers and explore the Okarito Kiwi Sanctuary. Free photos included wit Glacier Country Kayaks.
- Franz Josef Glacier Guides gives you the opportunity to experience the most spectacular glacier environment available to the general public anywhere in the world, offering a range of glacier hiking tours to suit all levels of fitness and ability.
- South Westland Horse treks enable you to ride glacier country on horseback. Riding in small groups they offer 1, 2, 3 hour or full day treks taking in the stunning views of the Southern Alps and Mt Elie de Beaumont.